Digital dental impressions have revolutionised the dental industry, providing numerous advantages over traditional wet impressions.
In this blog post, we will explore the advantages of digital dental impressions and why they are becoming the preferred method for many dental professionals.
More specifically we will answer some commonly asked questions like “Are digital dental impressions more accurate than traditional wet impressions?” and “Are digital dental impressions easier and faster to do than traditional impressions?”
Check out below our list of advantages for digital dental impressions:
- Improved accuracy: One of the most significant advantages of digital dental impressions is their accuracy. Digital impressions use advanced technology to create a detailed and precise image of a patient’s teeth, gums, and surrounding tissues. This accuracy ensures that restorations, such as crowns, bridges, and implants, fit perfectly and function properly.
- Faster and more efficient: Digital dental impressions are faster and more efficient than traditional wet impressions. In the past, a dental impression required a patient to bite down on a tray filled with putty, which would create an impression of the teeth. This process could be time-consuming, uncomfortable, and messy. With digital impressions, a dentist can quickly scan a patient’s mouth using a handheld wand and create a digital model in a matter of minutes. This efficiency means less time in the dental chair for the patient, as well as fewer appointments.
- More comfortable: Digital impressions are also more comfortable for patients than traditional wet impressions. The putty used in wet impressions can be uncomfortable and even cause gagging. In contrast, digital impressions use a handheld wand that is painless and non-invasive. This increased comfort makes dental appointments more pleasant and less stressful for patients.
- Better communication: Digital dental impressions also offer better communication between the dentist and the dental laboratory. The digital model can be sent directly to the lab, where technicians can use advanced software to design and manufacture restorations precisely to the dentist’s specifications. This direct communication eliminates errors and ensures that the final restoration fits accurately.
- More environmentally friendly: Digital dental impressions are also more environmentally friendly than traditional wet impressions. Wet impressions require the use of disposable materials, such as trays and putty, which generate waste. In contrast, digital impressions require only a handheld wand and computer equipment, which can be reused multiple times.
In conclusion, digital dental impressions offer numerous advantages over traditional wet impressions. They are more accurate, faster, more comfortable, and better for communication between the dentist and the dental laboratory. Additionally, they are more environmentally friendly. For these reasons, digital dental impressions are becoming the preferred method for many dental professionals, and it is easy to see why.
Dr Kendall James is a leader in the use of dental technology, among the use of digital dental impressions he is at the forefront of modern dental equipment. To check out more about the tech offered at Dr James’ practice feel free to view our Dental Technology page here.